Welcome everybody to Down and Distance, where two dads talk sports, music, life and parenting. Jarrett Payton and Shaun Davis discuss the biggest issues and interview the best and brightest.
The Lovie Smith era began in Champaign this past Saturday as his Fighting Illini defeated Murray State 52-3. The defense was stout as advertised and registered six sacks while senior quarterback, Wes Lunt, directed an efficient offense supported by two 56 yard touchdown runs from Kendrick Foster. Next up for the Illini is a primetime tilt versus North Carolina, who suffered a close defeat at the hands of the Georgia Bulldogs.
Lovie Smith joined Jarrett and Shaun to discuss:
- The excitement in the Illini program and the “Come Home” mantra
- Wes Lunt as a captain and quarterback
- The running game vs. North Carolina
- Social Media impact on coaching
- His thoughts on diversity in life and how the University of Illinois represents that
- Social injustice and the importance of voting
- Embracing the big game early on in his tenure
We always convert on Down and Distance!