The Hofmann tower in Lyons was the tallest building in Illinois west of downtown Chicago upon its construction in 1908. The tower included a concrete damn along the Des Plaines River to keep water deep enough for boats and to create electricity to light streetlamps. Today, the tower is closed, but the surrounding area has been developed into a river walk. The tower has been a source of civic pride for Lyons. An image of the tower appears on the town’s seal and welcome signs throughout.
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.