Community Corners 05/14/21: Chicago’s 1800’s film studio

Community Corners

Lights, cameras, action…the words known on movie sets were actually first uttered in Chicago. In 1896, an upstart producer named William Selig made a two-minute movie, marking the beginning of a film production hub on the North Side. Selig Polyscope Company took up a city block in what is now the North Center neighborhood. The block of stages is now apartment buildings and a gas station, but the biggest structure remains near the corner of Claremont and Byron, marked by the trademark “S” in a diamond over the door. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Business News

More Business News

Political News

More Political News

Technology News

More Technology News

Science News

More Science News

Entertainment News

More Entertainment News

Odd News

More Odd News

Popular

More Home Page Top Stories