HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is warning parents to be on the lookout for a rare polio-like condition that affects children.
The health agency says it is preparing for a possible outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, a life threatening condition that affects the nervous system.
The CDC says cases tend to spike every two years.
The most common symptoms are sudden limb weakness, respiratory illness and fever.
AFM can lead to permanent disability.
Latest stories on KHON2
- The Great Outdoors with Charlie Potter 9.27.2020
- Highlights: Chicago White Sox 9 – Chicago Cubs 5 – 9/26/20
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- White Sox Weekly 09/26/20: Ryan McGuffey postseason predictions, Brooks Boyer playoff thoughts, and more…
- Illinois Democratic Senators frustrated with President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee