Six other station awards include best radio series/documentary and best personality
WGN Radio received top accolades at the 2016 Illinois Broadcasters Association (IBA) Silver Dome Awards, held June 15 in Champaign. For the ninth year in a row, the IBA recognized WGN Radio as the Chicago Market Station of the Year at its annual best-in-state awards ceremony.
“We’re truly grateful for this honor, because it recognizes the culture of collaboration in our hallways, newsroom and studios,” said Todd Manley, WGN Radio Vice President of Programming & Content. “It is our great fortune to work for a company that is committed to live and local engagement 24/7.”
Besides Station of the Year, WGN Radio earned first place in six categories:
- Best radio personality – Patti Vasquez
- Best radio series or documentary – “Compelled to Serve: Military veterans now serving their communities” by Vic Vaughn
- Best radio light feature – “Pullman: The Journey Continues” by Dave Schwan
- Best radio station website – wgnradio.com
- Best radio station self-promotion – “Blackhawks Two Week Roadtrip” produced by Chris Duffy
- Best radio humorous commercial – “Annoying People” produced by Jason Skaggs
The radio station competition is divided into three market classifications depending on size and out-of-state broadcasters do the judging for the Illinois competition. The IBA is the leading advocate for the broadcast industry in Illinois.