Nick’s List of The Best Special FX Make-Up Artists of All Time
I love the show Face Off….and it got me to thinking of the Best FX Make Up Artists of All Time….and here are my personal favorite Top Ten Choices (in order of preference):
1) Rob Bottin (The Thing, Twilight Zone The Movie, Legend, The Howling) – Simply, his work on the The Thing, in terms of practical effects will never be equaled.
2) Dick Smith (The Exorcist, Scanners, Altered States) – The innovator who inspired anyone working in the field today. The Exorcist…..massively groundbreaking.
3) Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Harry and the Hendersons, Videodrome) – Incredibly talented and influential and still working.
4) Jack Pierce (Frankenstein, The Wolfman , The Mummy) One of the first and best makeup artists of all time.
5) Lon Chaney Sr. (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Phantom of the Opera, London after Midnight) – Please.
6) John Chambers (Planet of the Apes, Island of Dr. Moreau, Blade Runner) – His Apes makeup was legendary and groundbreaking….and John Goodman played him in Argo!
7) Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th, Maniac, Creepshow) – Best gore makeup artist of all time. His work with Romero is genius.
8) Stan Winston (Aliens, Terminators, Jurassic Park) – Broke ground like a maniac, and remained incredibly prolific and created until his death.
9) Chris Walas (The Fly, Gremlins, Naked Lunch) – Incredibly imaginative and fond of weird designs, his stuff is unforgettable and cool as hell.
10) Greg Nicotero (Evil Dead 2, Scream, In the Mouth of Madness, The Walking Dead) – The modern day hotshot of FX makeup, his work is absolutely terrific.