Garry Meier

Memories of WWII by Garry Meier’s father, Frank

In 1982, Garry Meier’s father, Frank, sat down with a tape recorder and recalled a 48-hour period of battle in December, 1944 during his service in the U.S. Army under Gen. George Patton.

littllegarryanddadatlcleaners

Little Garry Meier with his father, Frank, at the cleaners.

15 Comments to “Memories of WWII by Garry Meier’s father, Frank”

Madge King said:
    November 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Just listened to Garry's father telling of his Christmas Eve in 1944. It was beautiful, and was told of a time when we prayed to God & the Virgin Mary. Thank you WGN for allowing this to be broadcast – we need more programing like this to bring our country back to what it was. Amen

Sylvia Benisek said:
    November 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

This was so emotional to listen to. Hearing callers I agree the tears just started flowing. Thank you Garry for sharing.

Kari said:
    November 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

This is the best thing I have heard all day. Thank you Garry and WGN for sharing this very REAL recording of a veteran's memory of WAR. Freedom is NOT free and we thank all of the veterans who are serving and have served to keep this country the country it is.
    WGN you are my wake up in the morning and my station to get me through the day. You have only made me a bigger fan by allowing this beautiful memoir to be heard today on Veterans Day.

John Warkentien said:
    November 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Thank You Gary for sharing this with us. I'd give anything to here my Fathers voice telling me his experience's. He was there with the U.S. Second Infantry Division and was involved with some of the same that you Father was fortunate to live through! Where both lucky to have our last names!
    God bless all our Veterans and you Gary.
    Thank You.

RON said:
    November 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

BLESS

sue benker said:
    November 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Thanks, Garry, for sharing

Yepi 3 said:
    November 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

It is a moving picture they are happy

Kizi 4 said:
    November 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

very interesting and great to see the image

Andy Bizub said:
    November 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thanks Garry. My dad was in South Pacific, and I heard all of his stories multiple times, and loved every telling. Can only hear him in my memory now.
    You're a good egg Gary

PEG said:
    November 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I AM SORRY TO SAY I MISSED THE ORIGNAL SHOW AND COULDN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT TODAY…VERY TOUCHING …. WE SHOULD ALL BE VERY THANKFUL THAT WE HAVE MEN AND WOMEN LIKE YOUR FATHER TO KEEP US SAFE AND PROTECTING OUR NATION…THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS WITH US….THAT RECORDING MUST BE SOMETHING THAT IS VERY DEAR TO YOU…

Paula said:
    November 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this. My 92-year-old father is a WWII vet, and this story really touched me. You must be incredibly proud of your dad; what a wonderful way to honor him. Truly, that was the Greatest Generation. Is there a written transcript posted somewhere that could be shared? Thanks to WGN for the great programming. Garry, I am a forever fan.

DAN said:
    November 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

gary your father was agreat man he might of passed by my dad who also was in this engagement 106 CAVELRY CHICAGO BLACK HORSE TROOP 1939 1945

catherine Becka said:
    May 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Garry, Thank you for sharing this moving experience, Your father was a great man. You must be so proud' A fitting story for this memorial Day. We must all remember