Pinch Hitters

Steve Cochran returns! (hour 4)

An old friend calls in from Nashville, Robert Channick explains the Tribune’s purchase of a large number of TV stations, and Tom Skilling talks about the extreme heat wave scorching the west coast.

OurTownHeadshots07936copy

Steve Cochran

110 Comments to “Steve Cochran returns! (hour 4)”

Liz Arnstrong said:
    July 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I have WGN on all the time 24/7, I heard the turn over from Bill Leff to STeve Cochran this morning. I couldn't believe nyy ears………….OMG the answer to lots of prayers from your "older" listeners, Steve is one fine broadcaster and I was thrilled to hear him Now since you are culling your staff continue saying bye=bye to the two new women…Turi and Carol ,sorry ladies your offerings were horrible, boring incuding your delivery. There is a place for you both but not GN…. Now find a place for STeve, you will see your listeners who have floated away come back. Good Job !! Steve we are rooting for you. Stay out of the darn bathroom leave a note for Brandmeir, he needs some deffinite confinement.
    We sure missed you alot. You sound better on WGN much better than from St. Louis and from WIND.

Barbara Nieft said:
      July 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Liz is right. WGN is the top of the mountain – not a training ground for other media types who think radio is at the bottom of the communications list. For lots of people of all ages radio is a voice in real time (not recorded) that keeps one in touch with the world – both local and global.I'll never forget how Steve took the mike when Bob Collins died and carried on the station while we all mourned. For that alone he holds a very dear spot in my heart.

Dave said:
      July 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I agree Liz. Most mornings when Bill Leff goes off, so does my radio. I loved the "surprise" from Bill with the turnover. It was also great to hear Steve chatting with Spike! Now that's the WGN I jhave known and loved!!!!

bruce said:
      July 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

OMG IS right. Please no more. he is awful. comedy central at its worst his sticht(sp) hasn't changed. It is still terrible. If he is added the only thing i will listen to is Cubs and Hawks.

Tom Kwiatkowski said:
    July 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Steve,welcome back. It was great to hear you this morning. Hope things work out. Tom Kwiatkowski,WLKG Radio,Lake Geneva.

HJ Buter said:
    July 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Sure wish that WGN could find a way to keep Steve Cochran.Now that Kap is ruling night hours that he has earned, I wish WGN could keep Steve too!

As a 40 year listener to WGN I must say we have missed Steve. With the long hours Mike and Gary have been working, surely there is room to bring back a great radio personality and lessen their load everyday. Just imagine Mike, then Steve, then Gary, then KAP…..what a great daily lineup for the Midwest's greatest station!

Ronald M. Jones said:
    July 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Liz , Barb, & Tom, you are absolutly right – on !
    Steve, Welcome back to WGN. It was a welcome pleasure to wake up and hear you again on our WGN. Friends & family , of all ages tune into WGN . It is great , that the good people in management have the good judgement to bring you back into the team !
    Our very best regards to you, Steve,
    Ron & Joan Jones

Marcia said:
    July 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

What a welcome and familiar voice this morning. I must admit, my loyalties to WGN have slipped dramatically with all of the lineup changes and attemp to appeal to a different audience. Steve Cochran is the right balance of news, talk, irreverence, yet common sense and certainly the ability to make his audience laugh Hoping that the management at GN uses its common sense and brings back a true winner!

Joe said:
    July 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I agree with everyone above. Imagine my surprise when I started for work and heard Steve. I have stopped listening in the mornings because I didn't like how Johnny B does his show. It would be great to find a way to get Steve back on.

John said:
      July 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I have stopped listening to morning WGN after 20 years. Johnny B show is shallow. Bring Steve back. He should have accepted the slot when it was offered to him.

Marty said:
    July 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

What a relief to hear great radio this morning with Steve back. Let's keep him! Get rid of Johnny B. Then we won't have any more potty talk.

MikieB said:
      July 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I really hope JB was out looking for a new gig anywhere except on WGN. Steve was really great to hear back where he should be, on GN.

Bob said:
    July 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I wish to add to the comments welcoming Steve back to WGN in hopes of a long term regular relationship. I too are among the many who have changed my radio station away from WGN at 6:10 am but today, Steve was there. He belongs on GN, and management should find a regular daily time slot for him in the near future. Many of us who have drifted away would be back for Steve where he belongs. Today, it was as if he hadn't been gone!

Dave said:
    July 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The greatest morning on WGN since Spike left. I always thought Steve should have been the morning man. With Andrea, Dave and Orion all at the mike, a perfect balance in the mornings. Nothing against Johnny B, but he's an FM guy and the morning show seems like it's been dumbed down since he has come on. Find a different slot for Johnny B and give the morning drive to Steve.

Dee said:
      July 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Amen! This is the perfect combination of personalities. PLEASE get rid of Brandmeier. Even FM won't want him.

Guest said:
      July 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Amen, I couldn't have said it better myself. My morning drive is so much more enjoyable lisening to Steve instead of browsing other stations when Johnny B becomes too much to take. I hope GN keeps Steve in that spot.

C Madsen said:
    July 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Please, please let's have Steve! Find somewhere else for Johnny B, please. I keep turning WGN off in the morning and I get so depressed… It was so great to hear Steve this morning and I kept WGN on allll the way to work!

Dave said:
      July 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I'm with you! I used to keep my radio on WGN most of the day; now I don't turn it on until 10:00am weekdays. I'm an old GN listener, and really don't care for the juvenile, I'll repeat it 4 times stuff that's on mornings. Glad to have Steve back!!! Can we make it regularly?????

john said:
      July 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I have been wgn listener since the wally days ever since johnny b started I have stopped listening until 10am JB is not GN . not sure steve should do mornings but definetly belongs in the lineup, never understood why he was let go. also, wally, uncle bobby, spike, john Williams, mike, didn't need a second banana (buzz and Elton jim ) to make their program. to me those two ruin the programs.

Pat S said:
    July 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

We agree with all of the other listeners. We USE TO (repeat USE TO) have WGN 7 days a week. Then you brought Brandmeier into the fold. His disgusting mouth and ridiculous on-air stunts made us silence the radio altogether and switch on the TV. I tried to call and register my views to no avail. Steve brings back the honesty, integrity and sense of humor that most of your listeners had for years with Wally, Bob and Spike. I accidentally heard him on the car radio and went home and turned the radio back on. I HOPE YOU CAN GET HIM BACK AND PUT JOHNNY B ON AT 2:00 A.M.

Pat

Dee said:
      July 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Sounds like a great plan.

Deanne said:
    July 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I kept the radio on this morning. I hadn't done that in many months. What a great program it was this morning. I can't believe how I agree with everyone's comments above. Yes, the morning show had been "dumbed down." This morning it was entertaining, informative, and just like the morning show should be.

Jim O' said:
    July 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Can't agree enough with everyone else here! Finally didn't have to change the dial at 6:00am. I like Bill, though every sentence having to end with a prompting question gets annoying. I LOVE Steve, he's what this station needs in the morning. I even like Garry, though I didn't in his earlier days. As for Johnny… you ran a promo chanting "I grew up listening to his voice, I grew up listening to his voice".. Yeah, I did, then I grew up, Garry grew up, Johnny-not so much. That same shtik he used in his younger days has no place on WGN. Put Steve on the morning shift, and give Johnny the lunch hour, I'm out of range by that time!!

Linda Blanco said:
    July 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I used to leave the dial on WGN, never changed, until all that goofy management came to town. I suffered through those dumb, wacky changes until enough was enough – I saw a billboard advertising Cochran 5-7pm on WIND. I hated to bolt on Garry, but I had found Steve! I l

Linda Blanco said:
    July 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I used to leave the dial on WGN, never changed, until all that goofy management came to town. Listened to everyone at every hour! Learned to listen to Hawks hockey. I suffered through those dumb, wacky changes until enough was enough – I saw a billboard advertising Cochran 5-7pm on WIND. I hated to bolt on Garry, but I had found Steve! I eventually changed that dial to 560 – Could no longer take Johnny B. Please tell me Steve’s gonna replace him so I can switch back the dial!

Linda Blanco – Naperville

john said:
      July 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

thanks for the info about steve at WIND I like garry butas long as he has Elton jim I will change to wind

Steve Hile said:
    July 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It was a very pleasant surprise to hear Steve Cochran on WGN this morning, I hope that it can become a more regular event. I don't dislike Gary Meier, but in the last year I have often switched over to WIND and listened to Steve during the evening drive home. His wry wit and blend of seriousness and fun was always interesting. I would prefer him to Jonathan B in the morning.

Annie said:
    July 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I am amazed at the number of people who think the same as I do – get rid of Johnnie B (he's an old geezer who thinks he is still a teenager and acts like it). And even though I enjoy Bill Leff, I thought it was just me who noticed that he always keep prompting his guests with a question!!! Let's have a change for the good, please!!! I certainly would like to turn my radio back on to WGN again. And it was good to hear Spike again – he was the BEST ever, but I know he would never come back – and why would he!!!

Pam & Tom Brooks said:
    July 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Thank you to whom ever woke up ans brought Cochran in! For the first time in MONTHS my husband and I are listening to GN during the week. Who ever brought Cochran back deserves a raise! THANK YOU!!!

Glenn & Margaret said:
      July 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

These are our exact words. It was WGN on every radio from when we wake up. Then we lose Kathy and Judy, Steve Cochran, and then John Williams. We never listen to AM except Sat. and Sun. What a pleasant surprise this week !
      Please can we keep him in place of the annoying JB.

Melodie said:
    July 3, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Frankly, I love WHENEVER Brandmeier is on vacation, because then I don't have to change the station when his show starts. It was awesome today to turn on the radio and hear Steve Cochran! I totally agree with another respondent that it is the best show since Spike left. WGN needs someone more in the ilk of Bob Collins or Spike, slightly irreverent with a great sense of humor but able to ask the biting questions during an interview when needed. He would be an AWESOME morning show host.

JayBee said:
      July 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Great Posts Re: Welcome Back Steve Cochran to WGN. This has been the the most enjoyable WGN listening experience for me (& from reading the MANY +Positive+ Steve C. posts from other great WGN listeners) Ummm, I really do NOT care for Garry M., & the new KAP 7pm sports show S U C K S!!! KAP is one of the Worst & Most Arrogant, Big-Mouthed & (in Kap’s mind) Know-it-All radio & TV hosts. He likes to try & overpower callers & guests. Kap spouts off & on & on. On 7/4/13 show a call-in called Kap out. Kap tells caller chill out, etc. After news break, Kap Talks??? (more like Arguing & Raising his voice!!!) Gee, Kap, sounds like You R the One who Needs to Chill Out. Better yet, get off the WGN airwaves give back to better hosts. B-4 I really used to enjoy past interviews with Karen Conti, but…I tried to give U a chance with so called new 7pm sports, etc. Bye Bye Bye WGN during Kaps Lousy non entertainment. Bring back the prior sports etc (but try it without Kap)

JayBee said:
    July 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

OMG!!! Thank You! I just happened to turn on WGN this morning listening to an interview. Right away, I said that sounds like Steve Cochran! Great interview as usual from his mouth to OUR ears! Just b-4 news break I was confirmed that it IS indeed Steve C. WOW! I always felt Mr. S C should’ve been the Main am DJ. I really really loved Bill Collins (God bless him) & in my opinion, felt ~ feel that Steve comes closest to his style! To this day I still don’t understand Why or How WGN ever got rid of Steve! Unbelievable! Please KEEP Steve Cochran full-time in a super time slot!! WGN, by doing so, you’ll see your ratings go Up & Up↑↑ (now for a bummer note: I do Not, repeat Do NOT like Garry Meier at all ~ Dump Him & his lousy paranoid whining Blah!) Like so many, many, many other listeners who left with your stupid changes I’ll be back to Listen IF Steve Cochran is back permanently!! (But as it stands now & in the future I refuse to listen to Johnny B, Garry & some of the other new voices!) Mr Cochran is the. B E S T… it’s as though he hasn’t left, meaning he doesn’t appear bitter on air with how he was treated, he’s so professional, funny, fluid & sooo great how he interacts with the staff!! You can even hear the happiness when they work with Steve & this makes me happy :>

JayBee said:
    July 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

PS: disclaimer I’m Not a relative, loved one &/or even met Steve Cochran. I’m just someone who always enjoyed listening to radio & different DJ styles. Steve Cochran is one of the Best of Best. (but, WGN, I gotta ask (with no disrespect intended), did you hire Bevis & Butthead to make all your horrendous decisions??) Peace Out

MJW said:
    July 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY TO HEAR STEVE COCHRAN BACK ON WGN. I FOLLOWED HIM TO "WIND", HOWEVER, IT WASN'T THE SAME. HOPEFULLY STEVE WILL BE ON WGN PERMANENTLY. PUT STEVE IN BRANDMEIER'S TIME SLOT AND I WILL, AGAIN, HAVE MY RADIOS SET TO WGN 24/7

RonD said:
    July 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Greg said:
    July 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Steve Cochran should replace johnny b. Period.

BobbyJ said:
      July 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I second that motion!

Carol said:
    July 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Find a place for Steve, WGN. A class act! Welcome back.

Tom said:
      July 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Bill Leff for Jonnny B Get rid of Steve Cochran and find Nunnan a spot……

Jim Plenus said:
    July 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Echoing the comments of RonD:
    It was wonderful to hear Steve Cochran again. Just like old times. Please bring him back again. I would rather listen to him than any of your other hosts. Its time to listen to what your audience wants!!…

Could not agree more; could have quoted all of the positive comments. We're pleading with management to find a permanent place for Steve.

Jim & Marge lenus

CBT said:
    July 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I was very happy to hear a voice from the past when I heard Steve's voice back on WGN! I hope management has the good sense to keep you in the early morning time slot. I am a loyal WGN listener but can not stand listening to Johnny B. He is too crazy and can't seem to have a serious conversation with anyone. I would love to turn my dial back to GN in the morning as you have given me to choice but to look elsewhere in the early morning. Of all the personalities, Johnny just do not fit in. Sorry.

Colleen said:
    July 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I turned on WGN, which I only do now for Johathan or Gary, and the recognizable sound of Steve Cochran's voice. I loved it! Please bring Steve back and give a whole bunch of us a reason to come back to GN full-time. Welcome Steve! You are one of a kind!

Colleen said:
    July 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Also, I am OK with Johnnie B, but PLEASE put Steve in place of Mike. Mike drones on about nothing interesting and none of it bears repeating. When Steve was on I used to repeat what he was talking about throughout the day. Mike is nowhere near as entertaining as Steve. Even the "sidekicks" are reacting. Mikes "sidekick" sounds as bored as I feel. As soon as Mike comes on, I change to Pandora until he is off again.

john said:
      July 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I like mike I just wonder who you believe is his sidekick

Jean J said:
    July 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Please, Please, Please get rid of Jonathon Brandmeier and keep Steve Cochran. I really don't care for Johnny B's program in the morning….It has been great having Steve on…It feels like the WGN that we know and love.

Audee said:
    July 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It was wonderful to wake up to Steve this morning, like a great reunion of old friends. He's so quick, smart and funny, and has been sorely missed. Welcome back!

Diane said:
    July 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I join the crowd of listeners who are rejoicing the homecoming of Steve Cochran to GN. He is so much more pleasurable to listen to in the morning (or any time of day) than Mr. Brandmeier. Sorry, Jonathon,but that's just how I feel. Steve, Welcome back!!!

Janey said:
    July 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I agree with all above. I used to listen to WGN all day, but CAN'T STAND the innane Johnny B. He says nothing. They went from Greg Jarrett who took himself WAY too seriously, to JB who is never serious and just wastes our time!

sue d said:
    July 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Hoping you are here to stay..love you in the morning..nothing against JB but cant listen to him…your the guy for the morning after Bill who I also love…Im up at 2:30 am listen until bill is over then have to change to
    LS…but if you're back Im there to stay!!!!!!

ron said:
    July 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM

WGN do yourself and your listeners a huge favor bring back STEVE COCHRAN and move brandmouth to late nite

Kathy said:
    July 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I actually thought I was still dreaming when I woke in morning and heard Steve Cochran! Instead of rolling over, I grabbed a cup of coffee and tuned up the radio! Please find a place for Steve in your daily line-up, it would be a step in the right direction in raising the ratings! Welcome back Steve and good luck.

Ron said:
    July 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

It was a pleasure to hear Steve C. back on WGN. I stopped listening when that idiot Brandmier came on in the morning! Cochran is a pro and that other guy should find a different type of work.

linda mitcheltree said:
    July 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hes a moron, should have stayed gone the first time!!!

guest said:
      July 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Amen! I did cartwheels when he left! Mr. pregnant pause (I'm so witty, hip and clever!).

Alice said:
    July 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Have to concur with everyone else. Johnny B is an insult to Chicago & WGN listeners. He doesn't talk to the people, he is just involved in his own little self-involved conversations. The biggest mistake WGN ever made was not giving the morning shift to Steve when Spike left. Now is your chance to rectify that mistake. Bring Steve back!

Bobbi said:
    July 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Hurraaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy. So glad to have Steve back on WGN….at any hour of the day. I will be listening. Welcome back Steve.

Ken Lambert said:
    July 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Good to hear Coccy back. Does this mean GN is going to stop pursuing younger listeners and go back to waiting for the youngsters to mature and find them, like we all did.

Downstate Listener said:
    July 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What a refreshing change to hear Steve back on the air! I have been a forty plus year listener to WGN and was extremely disappointed in the station changes over the past few years, but make a good choice now and put Steve in the morning slot! I agree with others that Johnny B. is not worth listening to!

Lue said:
    July 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Was so happy to hear Steve when I turned on the radio in the morning!! In the past year I would listen to the news and weather in the morning and then turn off the radio unless there was a substitute host. Please leave Steve on in the morning!!!

TOM said:
    July 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

tom
    Bring back Steve…PLEASE!

Nancy Kloppenborg said:
    July 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I turned on the station this morning and I heard the voice of an old friend. So glad to hear you again. I'm sorry, I have to be honest. Johnny B. is too loud, he repeats himself incessantly, and he's just plain irritating. I tried to like him, but I can't. He's a hot dog. My vote is for Steve Cochran. Please bring him back daily!

Karen said:
    July 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thank God Steve Cochran is back, and may Jonathon's vacation last "forever." If it does, I can listen to WGN again!!

EdS said:
    July 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Please drop Johnny B and keep Steve Cochran. I had to get used to Gary M but I like him now. Mike McConnell is good but I lost interest with Carol Roth. Like many others, WGN was always my favorite station, starting with Wally, Uncle Bob and Spike. On Saturdays it is Lou Manfredini, don't ever mess with him. Now I can again put my clock radio on WGN from morning until night. I was begining to think you were never going to come to your senses.

Thank you!!!

Wilma Rolston said:
    July 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I often wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the radio and eventually go back to sleep. This morning I dreamed Steve C. was back on the air. Telephone woke me up and I was sure I was in heaven. STEVE WAS ON THE AIR! Thank you God to an answer to prayer. Welcome back, Steve! Now the dial will stay at 720 again.

Susan M said:
    July 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

When I heard Steve Cochran's voice, I was transported back to "The Good Old Days"! I still miss Kathy and Judy too.

Grant said:
    July 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I thought I was dreaming that first morning I came downstairs and turned on the radio and there was Steve. I ran upstairs and woke up my wife and said you'll never guess who's on WGN this morning. What a nice nice surprise. Whoever made that decision, congratulations for having the courage to do the right thing. Please find a way to keep him. You can tell everyone that works with him on the show truly cares for him. YEA to WGN management!!!