Pope Benedict XVI will resign on February 28, his spokesman says. In a letter to cardinals, he said his strength has been deteriorating.
Pope Benedict to resign at end of month
Transition at the Vatican
- Snowfall takes big bite out of city budget December 18, 2013Snow removal in November and December has cost Chicago $4.6 million, bringing the total for the year to $14.37 million, leaving about $2 million to get through the rest of the month. […]
- 2 dead, 3 hurt after fire consumes Naperville home December 18, 2013Two people were found dead following a house fire in Naperville this morning, according to fire officials. About 10 minutes after their arrival, firefighters were forced to evacuate the home fearing "structural collapse." […]
- Cardinal George reflects on 50 years as priest December 18, 2013Cardinal Francis George never could have predicted the challenges American Catholics would face today, a half-century after the nation elected its first Roman Catholic president and the church called George to become a priest. […]
- Mega Millions winning tickets sold in California, Georgia December 18, 2013There were at least two winners of an estimated $636 million Mega Millions jackpot, approaching the biggest U.S. lottery prize ever, lottery officials said. […]
- Judge rules Crystal Lake school violated law by building bleachers December 18, 2013A McHenry County judge ruled today that school officials violated the law by building 51-foot-high bleachers on the Crystal Lake South High School football field last fall without going through the city’s zoning process. […]