John Williams

John Williams Says Goodbye

John Williams says goodbye and shares memories of the best times he had at WGN AM 720 with his staff during the  final hour of his final show.

192 Comments to “John Williams Says Goodbye”

Jill said:
    January 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

What a terrible loss to Chicago. John you will be greatly missed. All the greats are now gone…..Spike, Kathy and Judy, Steve Cochran, Steve and Johnny and now you. WGN has been going down hill especially with adding Garry Meier( I turn the station immediately when I here his intro ) , Mike O'Connell, and Bill Leff all thumbs down. I will continue to listen to Johnny B but after that WGN will be turned to another station. Sorry WGN, but you have let another "Great One" get away! John, I already have WCCO added to My favorites and will continue to listen to you. Good luck to you and your family. GO SULUKI'S and KING JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty said:
    January 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

John, you are the last. I have been a loyal WGN listener for over 40 years. My kids grew up hearing Wally and Roy Leonard;. (My mother loved them also). Then there was Bob Collins, Kathy and Judy and Spike. WGN was the town hall of Chicago. Ideas and opinions were aired there and lots of people listened and talked about what was said there.

Then came the changes. K and J disappeared with no explanation. Same with Steve Cochran. Spike retired. You were sent to the PM. All of a sudden it was no longer my WGN. I did not like the replacements. Too loud, too silly, not people I could identify with. Was it possible that WGN no longer wanted me as a listener? I was beginning to get that impression.

John, I will miss you, the last of the WGN I loved. I wish you well in your new life. Don't know if they care, but to the WGN organization, you have now lost forever a longtime listener. Betty

Jeanie said:
    January 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM

"When I become King" … John, you are a delight! You are the only reason I would tune WGN in during the week … and it was for your show only. Brandmeier and McConnell are beyond annoying. I am still a fan of WGN weekends … especially Dean Richards on Sunday.
    Very best of wishes in Minneapolis.
    Perhaps the powers that be at WGN will start to remember the wonderful radio station that used to be for its many loyal listeners who would turn WGN on in the morning and keep it on all day.

Ron said:
    January 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

John—as so many have posted you will be sorely missed at WGN!! At least I can listen to WCCO online and in Minneapolis when we visit our son who is a soph at "the U". The management at GN has all but destroyed the uniqueness of the station. These managers need to get rid of those "portable people meters" and start listening to the long time faithful fans!! Jettison the morning guys(I can tolerate about 30 seconds of Johnny B. and a few minutes of McConnell) and replace them with Bill Leff. I greatly miss Milt's show as well!! At least Garry does a great job in the afternoon–he, the sports guys, the traffic girls, Nick D., Dean Richards, Max and Orion, and Steve B. are a few remaining bright spots!!

Judy said:
    January 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

My late husband, as a special gift to me because he knew how much I enjoyed listening to you on WGN, booked a cruise for us which you were hosting. I'll never forget how you pretended to be the waiter at our table, sprinkling pepper on a surprised Jim's food! As everyone else has said, your terrific personality and talents will be and are GREATLY missed.

carey said:
    January 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I agree with the posts. John was the last personality I enjoyed on WGN. Where in the world have the good radio personalities gone?

SHaron said:
    January 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM

So sorry to hear you have left WGN and with all the other changes I am moving down the dial to news radio. So sorry for all the changes at WGN. I have been an avid fan of the station for about 15 years and now I am leaving along with Spike, John. Kathy and Judy and Steve and Johnnie.
    ood Bye to WGN and what it was…

marianne said:
    January 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM

WGN……..I've tried to listen to the new lineup. Turi Ryder is about as opposite of Milt as you could find and I don't mean that in a good way. Garry is the only show you have left! A sad goodbye to John and Milt. You have lost your class and you have lost me. Goodbye.

Diane said:
    January 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

John was the last one worth listening to (besides Lou Manfredini on Saturday). It's the end of a long and wonderful era. So sad.

Steve B. said:
    January 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

What the Heck… Dang it… Now no Bright Side Of Life… Now where am I going to fine my "Happy Place"?

Cornelia said:
    January 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

thanks for the memories……to bad they let all the good people go! Sirius Radio, here I come!
    Good Luck, John!

Pat Carney said:
    January 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

What is going on with your programming? Whawt demographic are you trying to reach. Jonathon Brandmeier is not listening enjoyment in the AM…nice person but too wild and crazy. Get Bill Leff on during the day and more Nick D, why did Steve Cochran have to go. Are you paying attention to how many listeners you are losing? Interested in feedback?

kaye said:
    January 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Minneapolis internet has gained a new listener ….. miss you!

Kathy said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Hey all you Chicagoans, those of us in Minnesota would welcome you listening to John WIlliams on WCCO. You may not know this, but before John worked in Chicago, he worked in Minnesota. When I moved from Minnesota to Michigan, I really missed John. But, lo and behold, one day I tuned into WGN from Michgan, there he was! I was thrilled. My move back to Minnesota was sad only because I was going to miss John on WGN. Then one day, voila, his voice appeared on WCCO–and when I visited Chicago (my birth place) I saw him also broadcasting in the studio on Michigan Ave. We in Minnesota are exceptionally excited to have him as part of our community again. I don't know what's up at WGN, but they've blown it big time! (What?? No Kathy & Judy??)

Doreen Schweitzer said:
    February 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

John,
    Thank you for all your good work and for bringing us features like The Bright Side. Minneapolis is the richer but remember you can always come back home and we will find you where ever you land.
    Afternoons are just not the same and I still miss Spike and Kathy and Judy. GN really doesn't realize what they have lost. I can't listen to Steve Cochran on such a right wing station. More NPR less GN especially mid day!

Keith G. said:
    February 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

My gosh. I go all the way back to Franklin McCormick on the all night show! Back when Wally and Roy were king, and Uncle Bobby had the afternoon show! I live in Florida now, but always enjoyed a road trip when I could listen to John on my cell. I always felt like I was back home in Chicago whenever I heard John on the air; and whenever I came back to Illinois, I always tuned into WGN as soon as I could get to a radio!

The last time I heard hiim was when I was back in Illinois around Christmas. That day, John was reporting on the horrible tragedy in Newtown that was still unfolding at the time. John was always a calm voice in a troubled world; and it's just not going to be the same on WGN without him!

Good Luck, John! I can't wait to tune into you in Minneapolis!

char said:
    February 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

WGN
    what is next I only listen to WGN on Friday and Saturday to hear wha is left to a great radio station
    first is was Steve and Johnny then Milt Rosenberg now John Willaims. If Nick is replaced I am going to replace WGN. I have the morning program it is to silly bring back the old WGN if it was not for Nick and the black hawks I would not listen at all.

Linda D. said:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I too will no longer be a WGN listener. You broke my heart as one by one you took away the most interesting friends on radio….Good bye

Debbie Coconate said:
    February 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I've read all the above comments to bad WGN doesn't read them. Johnny B is to manic for the morning show. Too many changes and not good ones, I don't listen to much radio anymore. WBBM in the morning but I'd rather lister to a good talk host yes! like Bill Leff. John Williams you are missed! No more King,now what.

betty said:
    March 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Another listener lost. The station has changed WAYYYYYYY too much. Not fun any more.

Karen said:
    March 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I will definitely try to find you on WCCO but Indiana and Minnesota…well I will try! WGN is no longer on my radio with the dummies they have on now. When you left I left. The only reason I will turn WGN on is if the Cubs are not on TV!!!!

I miss you so very much, John. All the Best to you and your family.

WGN OLD SCHOOL said:
    April 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM

ONLY 1 KING… THE BEST OF LUCK.